Saturday, October 17, 2009

The Birth of Sea Periwinkle

||October 16, 2009|| Today is my birthday and my gift to myself is to embark on this project, as well as give the same "born on date" to my very first culinary journal, Sea Periwinkle.


~Sea Periwinkle is a name I've chosen because, first of all,  I love the color periwinkle and, secondly, I am married to someone who is a man of the sea, to say the least.  A sea periwinkle is a "sea snail" with a conical or spiral shell.  I found it appropriate that I chose a snail for my mascot, symbolizing the snail's pace at which I am about to embark on this journey.  And as any true sea periwinkle worth its salt knows, sometimes the tide will take you wherever it pleases.

~For years I have experimented in cooking different types of cuisines, collected cookbooks from every city I've ever visited but, to this date, I still have yet to follow a recipe exactly as it is written by the author.  There seems to be this ongoing problem, a constant struggle and rebelliousness inside of me, that thinks my version of the recipe (untested, that is) is much better.  I use my cookbooks as guides and inspiration but hardly ever to teach me a thing or two about the recipe itself since I never truly follow it.  Needless to say, my output has always been a different dish than what I've started.

~There are many blogs nowadays that are focused on gourmet, trendy, celebrity, high-end style foods.  I do enjoy reading other people's blogs that specifically showcase these areas and I will continue to enjoy them.  However, creating gourmet foods is not what my journal is about.

~I have decided to create this journal/blog with hopes that this will help me focus on understanding the food itself, its ingredients and how they relate to one another.  An education on the ingredients, its availability, maybe even the origin of the dish, and how people really cook them at home is what I would mostly like to cover and investigate.  Overall, I would love to just savor the mere sensation of tasting the food as the recipe writer intended.

~So, come join me and feel free to voice your opinions, ideas, anything that would help to enjoy the journey every step of the way.  All aboard!

No comments: